Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Drill Press


Now I'm sure the woodshop angel is working overtime.  He saw that I needed to upgrade from the benchtop drill press and a buddy came by the shop to say,  "Hey, are you interested in a drill press?  My son was going to the dump with this one I bought him a few years ago. He said the motor was damaged from water."

To make the deal sweeter, he also handed over a brand new Baldor motor for it for the very low price I can't quote. 

It's a Delta 14-070 with a 5/8  chuck.  I'll need to find a lock screw for the depth adjustment collar and replace a bent handle (victim of being dumped unceremoniously in the truck), otherwise good condition.

I have parts on order from LeeValley to make a nice adjustable table so I can drill doors for the kitchen job.  Of course, the table will a whole lot nicer that looking for hunks of scrap to clamp on for a fence every time I need one.

The T-Tracks on fence allow me to use Kreg Flip Stops and Bench Dog feather lock have for the Table saw -- multi-use is good!

Thanks to Dave J. for his generous dump-grabbing action!  Giving the new Baldor back to him -- nothing wrong with the original.   Kids ...

Here is the finished table.  I can attach the quartersawn Oak fence in four different positions, with stop blocks and hold-downs.

It'll be awfully nice for drilling those 35mm hinge-cup holes for the kitchen cabinet doors.

 QS Oak fence with stop blocks


Pull out to access elevation screw
Underside view of guides


Two stops, hold-downs and sacrificial center

How it all works







--8/12  I found someone who needs the 12-099 bench top I replaced with this one.  Feels good to 'pay it forward'  ;o)

No comments: