Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Nature's Art Salvaged From The Woodpile

These panels are destined for the top panel in several boxes.   I resaw partially rotted Birch logs and dry them for 6 months to a year before planning or thickness sanding.  I then put clean edges on them and glue up book-matched pieces.

Another round of sanding to 220 grit and then shellac several coats.   I love the symmetry achieved by book-matching and often enjoy seeing recognizable shapes emerge.  Maybe I could market them to a shrink for "natural" Rorschach image.




Five Douglas Fir boxes with Walnut keys all ready for sawing their tops off.



I got more mileage out of the Doug Fir and made 1/4 x 1 inch lattice to improve the storage possibilities of the boxes, and a little sliding tray to hold longer things...pencils, brushes and the like.






This is a mahogany box, not hinged yet, but showing what a beautiful addition the material is.


I also sawed up a spruce burl I have had for about 10 years.   It went through the same process with interesting results.  When finished the grain looks 3-D, changing with how the light hits it.






No comments: