Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Sawbench and dogs

Sawbench
Something that disappeared in the last couple of moves, and didn't get missed because I really haven't been using handsaws...is my sawbench.  Bench, not horse, because it's a little wider and even works as a place to sit.

Now that I'm using handsaws more, I found this Swartz design for a sawbench that I made with some carefully chosen construction 2x4 material (rift sawn) and a left-over piece of cherry.








It was relaxing to convert the 2x4 into sizes I wanted and surfaced all the parts with a few strokes of a smoothing plane.  No sandpaper here!



Spring dogs... I got an end vise attached to the new workbench and needed dogs for holding long boards.   I had a few minutes, while waiting for some finish to dry,  so made four.  They are designed to fit snugly in the hole with only 1/2 inch  of the textured head protruding. Didn't really need four, but the way I loose things ...

















No comments: