Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Tall Bathroom Cabinet







I guess the stars are aligned for tall cabinets this month. This one will fit in a 22.5 in x 94 in space and be 16.75 in deep. I will have to fit it pretty tight between two walls.

Although only the front will be visible, the customer wants the inside to look nice too. I used a light hardwood plywood for the box, stained and varnished before assembly, and put 1/4 white melamine on the back to give a little more light inside the deep cabinet.

I picked up a sheet of cherry veneer to press the door. The customer desires a plain continuous door rather than a frame and panel. I'll trim the edges of the substrate with cherry, press on the veneer (with vacuum press) and attach with three self-closing Blum face-frame hinges which attach nicely to the 3/4 in. cherry face frame.

Since I wasn't particularly excited about hauling a 94 in. cabinet up a flight of stairs, I made two boxes and will cover the joint with one of the frame rails.

Delivered the parts (just across the street) and set them in place in the appointed alcove. Perfect fit! Had to trim a little off the bottom of the frame because the wall came out about an eighth inch around the shower pan. So I got to get some use out of one of my "new" planes.


The room was small, so it was impossible to get a full shot of the finished product:

No comments: