Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Marking Gauge





I had some down time waiting for a new bit so I made a new marking gauge from maple scraps and a hacksaw blade.  It is much nicer than my old one and that little knife is beveled on the outside so it cuts a line without wandering.  This is nice for cutting a line for dovetails.

The nice thing about making tools is they please you for years -- as opposed to the furniture you sell out the door ;o)

The 1/4 in. bolt pushes a 5/16 dowel section against the arm so I won't get dents in the arm from the bolt.




 I made another that would use a point rather than a knife to make less of a mark on some spindles I am carving.    While noodle-ing about what to use for that, of course a nail seems appropriate, but even better -- a drywall screw.   They are hard little guys and have a very sharp point. In addition, they are easy to adjust.












  

No comments: