Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Turning tools






I noticed a newer turning tool in a catalog that had a small carbide cutter screwed to the end of a steel shaft with a handle attached....for $170 !     I also notice they were selling replacement cutters for $18, and immediately I bought three of those little replacement cutters.  

Some 1/2 inch bar, a little cherry from the scrap bin and three  4-40 taps (busted two of them by being to agressive with them )   Notice the short one?  That's the one I kept cutting off and starting again.



I find the round cutter to be a fantastic tool for taking material off in a hurry.  As a matter of fact, I haven't used the gouges at all lately.

1 in copper pipe made nice ferruls.


The cutters I bought were a diamond shape, square, and round.


Making the shaft and handle long keeps you in control of a very agressive tool.   This baby takes big bites!



No comments: