Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Fireplace refacing

This brick fp needs to be refaced and insulated.    It's been around for 30 years, and needs considerable energy efficiency attention.   After I pull down those wierd 'pillars' of brick, I will morter in some Cronin stacked stone tiles, and make a nice wood mantel.

The new stone will be lighter, and be a little more color friendly with the furniture in the house.

The mantle and front of hearth will be cherry to match the cherry  stair rails on opposite wall.






















Wow, I was amazed at how much an effect it had on the perception of room size.   It seems like we added a couple of feet!   Now we're just waiting for the hearth tile to make its way to Anchorage.

Tile arrived just before I went fishing, so I got the hearth finished that weekend.   Now my job is over, time for the paint crew ;o)   BTW, the cherry trim will darken considerably as the UV light does its job.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that top portion of the fireplace rock or decorative paper? I like that family working together to accomplish a single project. Very excellent work Russ!

snowman said...

the mantle is Cherry. And thank you ;o)